IN THE NEWS
2022 EVENT PHOTOS
What is HANMADANG?
Oregon State Hanmadang wins prestigious Sports Leadership Award.
The Oregon State Hanmadang is a NON-PROFIT 501(c)(3)! Please consider becoming a sponsor and receive great visibility throughout the pre-launch and the event.
Visiting from out of town? Our Sports Commission is here to help with the event and provide resources and information for participants, VIPs and fans. Explore our picks for dining options and fun activities for the whole family!
NEW FOR 2023
• International guests: GM Chris Thoen, Head Official / Judge from Belgium
• GM Sammy Pejo, Executive Director, United States Taekwondo Committee
• GM Henk Boese, President of United Taekwondo Jidokwan Federation
• GM Suggs, Founder, United Hapkido Federation
• Tatami sword cutting demo
• Return of the Expo on Friday
• Black Belts: recruiters will be scouting this event for participation in the US OPEN National Hanmadang and the Korean World Hanmadang
Early Bird Registration opens 2/1/23: $75 for two events + $10/additional event
4/1/23-event date: $90 for two events + $10/additional event
Expo: $5; Tournament: Adults: $10 / Kids under 5 FREE at the door
“This tournament fosters courage, self discipline, integrity, perseverance, and fair play. It was a great experience to see such an uplifting tournament.”
– Lucy Vinis, Mayor of Eugene
TOURNAMENT EVENTS & SCHEDULE
Download flyer here
Martial Art Expo: Friday, May 5, 2023, 5pm-8:30pm
- 12pm Set up volunteers arrive
- 3-5pm Vendor set up (No Early Set Up!)
– DOORS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
– Registration and credential pick up for Tournament
– Last minute tournament sign ups
– Concessions open with wraps, light snacks and drinks.
– Vendor showcase
- 5:45pm Traditional Lion Dance performed by East/West Kung Fu
- 6pm Start of Expo
- 8:30-9:30pm practice on tournament floors and equipment
- 10pm doors close
- Vendor showcase
- Featured demo team: East-West Kung Fu, Sifu Joel Hazzard and Sifu Jesse Gottesman
- Guest masters presentations: Lindsey Wei of Wudang White Horse Kung Fu / Tai Chi, Sword & Fan forms, GM Chris Thoen, Leung’s Martial Arts and Erik Rhay Capoeira Roda
- Extreme trick kick competition, $200 prize money, audience chooses winner
- 360 jump back kick, single elimination exhibition
- Tatami sword cutting exhibition
- Traditional Lion Dance performed by East/West Kung Fu
- Korean archery: archery targets with safe, padded arrows, lessons by Master Dean
- Record attempts in power breaking and single elimination events
Tournament: Saturday, May 6, 2023
- Lunch options on-site! We will have 3 food trucks and a designated coffee/drink cart. Pizza, Grilled Cheese and Tacos seem to be everyone’s favorites. You’re also welcome to bring your own food/drink. Food trucks will stay till at least 4pm, Coffee/drinks will be available all day.
- Lockers available, bring own lock
- Raffle prizes throughout the day! Main prize is a traditional custom wooden recurve takedown bow by Western Archery given away after lunch. Photo 1 Photo 2
– Set Up Volunteers arrive
– Coffee cart opens
– Vendors arrive
– Last minute registrations open till 10am
– Credential pickup
– Archery set up
- 8:30am Archery / Wood Sword Paper Cutting Tournament
- 10am OPENING CEREMONY
– Food Carts open for lunch: Grilled Cheese & Drinks up front / Pizza & Tacos out back
– Food allowed in main area if you want to eat on the bleachers, but please use designated front lobby and Room Two50 areas for lunch.
– Rock Climbing Wall open (12-5pm)
- 1-1:30pm Official Lunch Break, then tournament resumes
- Archery (Stationary & dynamic, Thumb release or Mediterranean draw)
- Taekwondo Traditional/Creative forms (Ind/Team w or w/o weapons)
- Kung fu forms (with & w/o weapons)
- Hapkido paired defense & falling (Height & distance)
- Power breaking (Hand: Palm heel, Knife hand, Fist; Foot: Step side & Back kick, Step-in back kick)
- Individual Creative Combo Breaking (up to 7-10 boards)
- Speed Hook Board-breaking (30 seconds)
- Single elimination events: (Distance & height) Flying side, Jump front
- Demo Team Competition
Professional Photo Packages Available on-site starting at just $20
• Have a professional photo be taken in your uniform
• Photos can be taken before/after competition or after you receive a medal.
• Kids or adults
• Take a photo by yourself, with siblings who are competing, with your team or teacher
• Receive glossy prints and/or digital files
• Pick up an order form at the photo booth, fill it out, get in the que for the pic and receive your photos within a few hours.
• Cash, Credit card or Checks are accepted.
THANK YOU 2023 BUSINESS PARTNERS
Friday we’ll have delicious wraps in the concessions kiosk and Saturday we’re having a full service coffee & drink cart and 3 food options!
Create your own shirt on-site!
Choose designs from the available selection and the friendly Threadbare staff will heat press them to the shirt before your eyes. We’ll have a few styles and sizes available. Or bring your own shirt or canvas tote and they can adhere designs onto your item (cotton fabrics work best).